How to make salmon nigiri? Nigiri sushi is a popular Japanese dish that involves pieces of raw fish pressed onto rice and served with soy sauce and wasabi.
This recipe for how to make salmon nigiri will show you how to make it the traditional way, using a bamboo mat.
How to Make Salmon Nigiri
To make Nigiri sushi, you will need:
- 180-200g / 6.3-7.1oz salmon fillet, skinless
- 180g / 6.3oz hot cooked rice
- Tezu (hand dipping vinegar)
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
Sushi Rice Vinegar (15ml / 0.5oz) – Rice wine vinegar (2 tbsp), water (2 tbsp), sugar (⅛ tsp) – Tare (sweet soy sauce based sauce), soy sauce (2 tbsp), mirin (((1 tbsp)), sugar (((1 tsp)))) – Garnish: red onion, curly parsley Grilled Salmon (4 pieces) – Salmon fillet (4, 6 oz each), salt & pepper (to taste) – Marinate: olive oil (2 tbsp), soy sauce (((1 tbsp))), honey (((1 tsp))), garlic (((2 cloves)), minced), grated ginger (1 tsp) – Garnish: sesame seeds, chopped green onion
Avocado and Cucumber Rolls (4 rolls) – Sushi rice (3 cups), cucumber (1, thinly sliced), avocado (1, thinly sliced) – Rice Vinegar Mixture: rice vinegar (2 tbsp), sugar (((1 tsp))), salt (((1/2 tsp))) – Nori sheets (4) – Garnish: toasted sesame seeds
Edamame Salad – Edamame beans (1 cup, cooked and cooled), baby spinach (2 cups, torn), red bell pepper (1, thinly sliced), carrots (2, shredded)
How to Make Aburi Salmon
Searing the salmon with a blowtorch creates a crispy outside while the succulent flesh remains tender and flavourful. Then, place your choice of toppings on top, such as slices of red onion or fresh parsley.
- Start by preparing the salmon fillet. Cut the fillet into 4 even pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add a tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the salmon and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until just cooked through.
- Remove the salmon from the skillet and place onto a plate lined with paper towels. Pat dry the salmon to remove any excess oil.
- Place the salmon onto a cutting board and using a blowtorch, lightly sear both sides of the salmon for about 30 seconds per side.
- To assemble the Aburi Salmon, place the seared salmon onto a plate. Top with slices of red onion or fresh parsley, if desired.
- Serve immediately with soy sauce and wasabi, if desired. Enjoy!
If you’re planning on eating raw salmon, make sure to ask your fishmonger to slice it for you for the best results. This way, any potential foodborne illnesses will be avoided. It’s also important to know where your fish comes from and if it has been previously frozen.
It’s best to buy sushi-grade salmon, which is the safest option for eating raw. When slicing, be sure to use a very sharp knife or a sushi knife so that you don’t tear the delicate flesh of the fish.
Additionally, it’s essential to keep your hands and work area clean. Wash them before and after handling the fish to minimize the risk of bacterial contamination.
Finally, store the salmon properly in the fridge or on ice and make sure to consume it within a day or two. Following this advice will ensure that your raw salmon dish is safe and delicious!
- Sushi: Indulge in this sushi dish with California Roll Sushi Bowls, Shrimp Tempura Rolls, and Easy Sushi Bakes.
- Salad: Serve this nigiri alongside some Kani Salad, Cucumber Radish Salad, or seaweed salad. Sides: Pair it with Shrimp Tempura Udon Soup, Chicken Tempura, Fried Spring Rolls (VIDEO), or Hibachi Fried Rice.
- Drinks: Enjoy a sake, green tea, or plum wine to complete the meal. Dessert: End the meal with mochi ice cream, matcha tarts, or some sweet red bean soup.
- Grilling: Bring out the grill and cook up some Garlic Butter Shrimp Skewers, Teriyaki Chicken Thighs, Grilled Asparagus, and Sweet Potato Fries.
- Salad: Serve your grilled items with a side of Grilled Corn Salad, Tomato Avocado Salad, or Watermelon Feta Salad.
- Sides: Pair it with a side of Kale Caesar Salad, Crispy Baked Onion Rings, or a quinoa salad. Drinks: Enjoy a cold beer, white sangria, or a refreshing Arnold Palmer to go with your meal.
- Dessert: Finish off the meal with a classic Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie, Brownie Sundae, or Fruit Galette.